Here's to all strong women...

Here's to all strong women...
dedicated to my mother, aunt, sister, cousin, nieces, daughters, step-daughter, and granddaughters

Sunday, February 3, 2013

I haven't the heart for Stoicism.


Confession: I haven't the heart for Stoicism.

I’m on a gurney in a hospital gown and my wool socks.  My bp is high.  I think I can feel my heart pounding. The doctor is late, hasn't even arrived.  Someone in the adjoining curtained-off “room” can’t stop cataloging all of her ailments.  She’s next, that is, when the doctor arrives.  I realize that I’m not even close to getting drugs to calm me down.  I keep thinking that I didn't tell my husband how much I love him, how much I need him.  I keep thinking of my high bp and pounding heart.  I keep thinking of Marcus Aurelius’ advice about calming your mind, facing death with confidence, and managing crisis.  

I keep thinking and thinking.  But my heart keeps pounding.  And there I see it.  The device with the button to push for help.  I will not push that button.  I will act like a good Stoic.  I will control my thoughts.  But I can’t seem to control my heart pounding.  I push the button and ask if my husband can join me. Sure. He does. He helps me breathe evenly.  He distracts me with chit-chat about last night’s movie.  He looks worried and tender-hearted.  My heart seems better.  The doctor arrives and my neighbor is wheeled away.  I ask to use the restroom, mainly so I can get up and move around.  Sure.  It’s so easy.  I ask for help and get it.  Not very stoic, I grant you.  But try as I may, it seems to go against my nature to calm my brain on my own.  I need someone else.  Perhaps, that’s not such a bad thing.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.